But today the kids were in a splendid Christmas program at church (just my unbiased opinion). This was really really big for us - the first Christian Christmas program for our kids, and they were SO excited. We were too.
Here are a couple of "staged" pictures (hehehehe - no pun intended).
Martin was a shepherd, and Olivia was a little girl at the marketplace.
We had a time of refreshments afterwards, and then I had a VERY embarrassing moment that made me laugh quite hysterically for quite awhile afterwards.
This story has a background:
I taught the children's Sunday School this morning and told them the story of Jesus turning the water into wine at the wedding of Cana. So at the end of the Bible story I told them that just as Jesus turned that water into wine and it was a completely different drink, he can take some person and turn them into a totally new person. We talked about that for awhile, and I told them the story about a friend of mine here in Germany who used to be an alcoholic. She was drunk most of the time, and even though she went to drs. and various other sources for help, she just couldn't stop drinking. Then one day she heard about Jesus and after reading the Bible she asked Jesus to save her from her sins. This was many many years ago, and since that day God has given her complete victory over alcohol.
So in the car after church Martin wanted to know the name of the lady. She is very open about her testimony, and so I knew she wouldn't have a problem with me telling him (and we don't have much contact with her), so I told him her first name.
SO, fast forward a couple of hours and it was after the program and we were getting ready to head home. A sweet older lady in the church came up to Martin and told him what a good job he had done singing and saying his parts. So I told him, "can you please thank Tante XXX". Her name was almost identical to the lady's name I had told him in the car earlier. He thanked her really politely, and then looked up at her with really big serious eyes and asked her (in German), "did you drink too much wine?" She looked at me with really shocked, questioning eyes - and didn't know what to say to him. It took me like 10 seconds to put it all together. And then I laughed hysterically while attempting to explain to the lady that it was not meant personally. Thankfully she is a dear, and when I could finally explain the whole story she was tickled too.
Whew.
Kids.
Scary. You just never know what is going to come out of those little mouths.
Mercy.
2 comments:
I, too, got a real laugh out of that one. Thanks for sharing the story. The kids did such a good job, by the way. Thanks for the extra trips you took to attend the rehearsals, despite the distance. Brad
Hshshs Oh how cute ! He is one sweet smart little man !
Post a Comment