Friday, November 4, 2011

Monsters

We have entered the "Fear of Monsters" period of childhood development. Don't ask me what precipitated this, but for the last couple of weeks Martin has trembled at the thought of entering a dark room alone, because of possible monsters lurking. Literally, not figuratively, trembled. How completely random is that? And no, he has not yet watched Monster's Inc.

So we've been dealing with it. Sort of. I mean, how do you deal with monsters? A couple of the answers I came up with. None of which helped much by the way:

1. There are no such things as monsters.

2. We don't allow monsters in our house. So you don't need to worry about there being a monster in there.

3. Martin, whenever you are afraid of something who is always there to take care of you? (Hint: God.)

4. Martin, when God made all of the wonderful things that we read about in the Bible, have you ever heard "Monster" being one of those things? No. God never made monsters. He made animals. And He made people. And He made (long list of things God made). But God did not make monsters.

But still, his fear of monsters continues. Only in the dark though. So in the evenings (since it gets dark by 5 PM now) one of us has to precede him to the bathroom (or whatever room in question) to turn on the light for him. Or if enough light from another room shines into the dark room he musters up enough courage to dash into the room (while whimpering) and turn on the light. I've said this before, but I feel like I have to get to know my children weekly anew. This is my fearless, daredevil, tough little boy. He usually is NOT a wimp. But in this area he's totally susceptible.

SO, yesterday we were having yet another conversation on monsters, and as proof that monsters do exist he quoted a little boy from Kindergarten.

Martin: "Michel sagt da sind ja Monsters." (Michel says there are so monsters).
Me: "OK Martin, Michel is 4 years old. And I am your Mama who loves you very much and would not tell you a lie. And I'm a lot older than Michel. I'm telling you there are no such things as monsters. Now who do you think would know better if there are monsters, Michel or Mama? " (Probably not the best line of reasoning, I know.)
Martin: VERY long pause.
Great.
Martin: "Um, Michel."

Um, no.

So a few minutes later he proceeded to go and assure Olivia that he would keep her safe from the monsters.
And I took a picture, because it was just precious.
Almost made me forget about losing to a four year old friend on monster knowledge. Almost.



3 comments:

Aunt Gina said...

This is really cute. He will probably gradually dismiss this fear and will then start assuring YOU that you don't need to be afraid of monsters anymore:+)

Grandma said...

Ah, yes--how well I know the very long pause.

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing one person who labeled their room deodorizing spray as "monster spray". They would spray it in the child's room to get rid of all the monsters.

Also, "what time I am afraid, I will trust in thee."