Before I had kids I had great aspirations as to how much I would teach them, and how smart they would consequently be. I envisioned a very organized day in which every hour followed a carefully thought through schedule that utilized valuable teaching resources, games, crafts, books, and even toys. I would teach my children to read by the age of three, teach them to cook by the age of four, teach them the piano and violin by the age of five, and teach them all the other necessary skills by the age of six. OK, I am exaggerating, but suffice it to say that I had a very naive and egotistical view of my childrearing skills. Then Martin was born. It didn't take me long to realize that the whole schedule thing wasn't going to happen. Then Olivia was born. Wow. How are you supposed to have all this quality teaching time with child no. 1 when child no. 2 needs to be held/ nursed/ changed/ put to bed, etc? Schedule, hah! The only schedule we were following was a sleeping and eating schedule. And I felt proud of myself even following through on that. The last couple of years I truly thought it took some super Mom (like my own mother) to teach a child to read. (How did she manage it with FIVE!?) Yes, extremely egoistical comparing of myself to other mothers was going on here. Which was actually humbling... Especially these moms that HAVE accomplished the whole schedule thing, and whose children are walking books of knowledge. If I could just teach the child to read, I didn't care if he could add, subtract, multiply, divide, list the presidents in the right order, name all of the capitols, etc. Reading was the biggie. But how!? OK, almost every day before naps (after Olivia was in bed) we would work together on letters. I diligently printed out worksheets and crafts to help reinforce each letter. But people, it was really slow go. It wasn't his fault, and I knew it. Then my wonderful mother went through her stuff, and gave me all of the teaching reading materials she still had. I industriously read all of the materials and felt quite inspired. Then my dad came for a visit and casually mentioned that my mom used to put alphabet flashcards on the fridge, and every day the small children would practice saying them for her while she worked in the kitchen or after meals. (She had organized school time too with the whole schedule thing going on when we were a little older, but when we were pre-school age she'd do the fridge). Hmmm... That's actually a good idea. I could do that. But it still sounded a little overly simple. But it was worth a try. So after dad left we put up the letters Martin already knew well - A through D. Yeah, we hadn't gotten very far.
The flash cards I am using (and I really like their whole reading system) are A Beka. This is what they look like...

So every couple of days we add a flash card to the fridge. And he lists it along with the others. OK great start. But I honestly thought that he wouldn't be able to identify the letters unless the picture was there. So recently I decided to give it a try. I took all of the letters down, and covered up the pictures, AND HE KNEW EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! I couldn't believe it!This kid is learning to read in spite of me!!! Ok ok. We're still a far cry from him reading. But honestly, this is huge progress. And I have hope for the future. :)
So, for any other non-super moms like me out there (watch me be the only one). Thought I'd pass on this great way to teach your kids the alphabet (no, just the alphabet song does NOT count).
3 comments:
You forgot to metntion that you taught both to speak English and German (I only taught you guys English--sorry--it would have been so much easier for you all then!--but brilliant children that you are, you overcome your Mom's neglect and learned German the hard way! ha)
You're too funny. I think we all have unrealistic expectations of ourselves going into motherhood, especially if we had a SuperMom like you and I do. I am finding that I'm not one, but am working hard to become one! Maybe by the time my kids are old enough to remember, I'll have it more together. Mrs. Minnick reminded us that it takes time to build character. Keep it up, you're doing great!
Ach Rebecca!
Weißt Du, in Deutschland kommt keine Mutter auf die Idee, ihren Kindern vor der Schule das Lesen (oder Mathe) beizubringen. OK, ich will nicht sagen "keine", aber das sind echt die Allerwenigsten. Und wenn Dein Kind das dann doch kann, dann musst Du Dich schon fast rechtfertigen dafür.
Also setzt Dich nicht unter Druck!!!
(... und leg Dir schon mal ein paar passende Ausreden zurecht, wenn es dann doch klappt).
Übrigens mögen es auch deutsche Lehrer nicht, wenn die Kinder vor der Schule lesen können! Sie wissen dann nämlich die Kinder im Unterricht nicht so gut zu beschäftigen. ;) Das ist wirklich so! Franzis Lehrerin war auch nicht begeistert, wusste dann aber gut damit unmzugehen :)
Post a Comment